Saturday, November 24, 2018

Ruth Asawa: Life's Work







Ruth Asawa at the Pulitzer Arts Foundation, photos by N.Exarhu
I saw this very beautiful show at the Pulitzer Arts Foundation. Asawa is a remarkable American artist, I had never heard of. Her experimental sculptures are totally innovative, poetic and etherial. She explores light and shadow, weight and volume, materiality and transparency and the in-between or negative space.

"I am able to take a wire line and go into the air and define the air without stealing it from anyone. A line can enclose and define space while letting the air remain air. You can see right through most of my sculpture...And I like the way the pieces overlap, because they are transparent. Transparency is very exciting to me." 
-Ruth Asawa


No comments:

Post a Comment