Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hot House

"Hot House", painting by Barbara Holtz who lives and works in St. Louis, MO

Barbara says about her painting: "Hot House is the result of several arrangements and palettes. Once I felt there was some depth I began the process of spacial arrangement and then the addition of sharp accents to give the plane some punch. I was also involved in making a variety of markings. Going over and over the negative spaces with a range of reds created a surface I hoped would make the painting bristle. At first of course I thought of Matisse. However, I wanted to move to my own rhythm. If the painting had not been framed I would probably keep dabbing at it. In the end, I did decide to include the Matisse cat in homage to him."

More about Barbara at
www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/artist_profile/Barbara+Holtz/25220.html

No comments:

Post a Comment