Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Small Talk Interlude

Small Talk Interlude, Collage by Pam Anderson who lives and works in Richmond, VA.
33''x30''
Pencil, thread, gesso, charcoal, paper napkin

Pam says about her art: "I am interested in the space between sentiment and pure formalism. I find a pleasing coupling is struck between the external world collage evokes and the more meditative and internal rhythms of drawing and sewing. Emptiness matters, and if clutter or crowding occurs, it is deliberate. Everything here is deliberate, usually surgical in its precision. Precious is an essential adjective in describing this work (I'm holding on, the work is holding on). I'm a collector of minutes and hours, even days, but also of the petty thesaurus scrap that would otherwise end up on the floor. I'm an arranger, an organizer of mostly flat space, though sometimes I tease with an illusion. My pieces are meant to be read, not just seen. They are syntactical and intimate. The work likes being caught between divisions, pairing opposites: keeping together/falling apart; past/present; top/bottom: fast/slow; written/imaged; actual/simulated; present/absent. Sometimes it is hard to tell which is which. In the last couple of years I have experienced death often and profoundly, losing people I cared about far too soon. If people are not yet dead, they are sick. Waiting. Underneath everything is this. Art, this art, is a way to make sense of the senseless. "

More about Pam at
www.mapanderson.com
and
http://www.markelfinearts.com/port.php?id=7


No comments:

Post a Comment